Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Art Contest
In his 1968 speech “The Drum Major Instinct,” Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “Everybody can be great … because everybody can serve.”
In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service on
January 19, 2015*, City of Lawton RSVP is sponsoring an art contest for participants aged twenty years and older.
This year’s theme is “What can I do to help others?”
- Theme: “What can I do to help others?”
- Deadline: *Due to public interest, we have extended the deadline past the original date of January 19 to the end of February, African American History Month. The new deadline for submissions is February 27, 2015.
- Drop off Site: City of Lawton RSVP office located at Dr. E.A. Owens Multi-Purpose Center, 1405 SW 11th Street, Lawton, OK 73501-7304.
The art competition is open to City of Lawton RSVP volunteers, City of Lawton RSVP volunteer station supervisors, City of Lawton RSVP program supporters, and staff members aged twenty years and older.
- Participants may use crayons, paints, markers, ink, pencils, and/or collage materials.
- Artwork must be on paper sized at least 8.5” x 11” (letter sized).
- Participants must work on their artwork individually.
- Only original artwork will be accepted. Reproductions of popular cartoon characters or other copyrighted information will not be accepted.
- The Participant’s Name, Age, Home Address, Home Telephone, and E-mail must be clearly printed on the back of the artwork in black or dark blue ink.
Artwork will not be returned and will remain the property of City of Lawton RSVP.
Judging will be based upon message, neatness, and creativity.
The winning artwork will be published in the quarterly City of Lawton RSVP newsletter and will appear on the new City of Lawton RSVP webpage.
“All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.