Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
|AUTO MECHANIC (Diesel)|
|Location:||Public Works Department / Equipment Maintenance Division|
|Beginning Salary:||$1,100.80 bi-weekly|
|Closing Date:||5:00 pm September 8, 2015|
This is a skilled mechanical work of the journeyman level in the maintenance and repair of heavy motorized equipment and related motive and fire equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Repairs, overhauls or rebuilds engines and does other major repair of systems such as diesel, gasoline and other types of internal combustion engines, automatic and standard transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems and hydraulic utility systems and controls.
- Repairs and maintains heavy equipment such as bulldozers, road graders, rollers, front end loaders, backhoes and similar power shovels; mobile cranes and similar heavy construction and earth moving vehicles.
- Repairs and maintains heavy special purpose vehicles such as large fire trucks which have hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical utility systems and controls and features not commonly found on motive and ordinary transport trucks and busses.
- Fits and installs parts, pistons, piston rings, valves, bearings, gears, and cylinders to appropriate tolerances.
- Makes changes or modifications in accordance with specifications and guidelines.
- Assures proper operations of the complete system of vehicle and tests completed work to assure proper performance.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and standard practices of the motive trade.
- Knowledge of the principles of operation and maintenance of heavy motorized equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the trade and the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of the mechanical makeup, operation and working relationship of a variety of heavy duty systems, assemblies and parts, including major systems such as diesel multi-fuel and gasoline engines, drive train assemblies and hydraulic lifting, loading, turning and positioning systems including their mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic controls.
- Ability to use technical manuals, illustrations, diagrams, specifications, schematics and similar guides to make repairs and modifications.
- Ability to select the best work methods to find and correct mechanical defects and make the appropriate repairs.
- Graduation from an accredited high school, vocational school or possess a G.E.D
- Five (5) years experience in maintaining and repairing motive equipment including work on fire equipment and/or heavy construction equipment, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and must obtain a Oklahoma Class B CDL within 6 months of date of hire and pass the written test within 30 days of date of hire.
- Possession of own mechanic's tools