Month 1995-9 September
Meeting of 1995-9-12 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
SEPTEMBER 12, 1995 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
Glen Alford, Mayor Pro Tem, Also Present:
Presiding Gil Schumpert, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Glen Alford.
Notice of meeting and agenda were posted on the City Hall
bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jody Maples, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Joe Dutcher, Ward Three
John Purcell, Ward Four
Robert Shanklin, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Carol Green, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
Absent: John T. Marley, Mayor
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Don Kesler invited Council, staff and the
public to an ADA Seminar at Memorial Hospital.
2. Public hearing held; Ordinance No. 95-37 adopted on use of
public right of way for parking and maneuvering under specified
criteria, Delete portions dealing with Board of Adjustment and
declaring an emergency.
3. Damage claim denied: William James and Sonya Walker.
4. Letter to FEMA regarding LOMR for The Meadows - Item Tabled
to November 14, Council meeting. Suggested that Council and
citizen committee be appointed to work with Cameron regarding
clean out of the channel.
5. Alley clean up in conjunction with city wide fall clean up
to be held. Neighbors and volunteer groups encouraged to help
elderly or disabled neighbors.
6. Ordinance No. 95-38 adopted annexing land into corporate
limits at SW 38th Street and Coombs Road.
7. Ordinance No. 95-39 adopted relating to lake permits,
providing for designation of agents authorized to sell City lake
8. Ordinance No. 95-40 adopted relating to disposal of liquid
waste at landfill. Proceed with establishing ways to dispose of
liquid waste at Lawton's Landfill. Keep Everyone informed.
9. Ordinance No. 95-41 adopted relating to educational
10. Damage claims approved: Cleotha and Floyd Whitford - $384;
Ezra and Edriene Davis - $153.95; Linda and Ronny Birch - Res.
95-108 - $1,845.55; James M. and Jean C. Cass - Res. 95-109 -
11. Res. No. 95-110 adopted on traffic controls.
12. Traffic controls denied as recommended.
13. Amendment No. 1 to lease with Robert E. Greiner School for
the Handicapped approved.
14. Agreement with Co-op Services for lease of land approved.
15. Modification Pooo35 to Fort Sill Water Contract approved.
16. Agreement with Northside Chamber of Commerce approved.
17. Completion of Cache Road Rehabilitation Project
18. RFP's to be advertised for Quality Assurance Construction
Inspection Service on Subtitle "D" project at Landfill.
19. Warranty Deeds accepted for Rogers Lane Phase IV, payment
20. Plans approved for Sewerline Maintenance Project,
advertise for bids.
21. Plans approved for SW 12th Street Waterline Project,
advertise for bids.
22. Plans approved for SW "D" Avenue Overlay, advertise for
23. Construction contract awarded for Landfill Groundwater and
Gas Monitoring Well Construction.
25. Agreement for Theaterworks/USA approved for November 9.
26. Litter control on tri-level and bi-level: Texhoma
27. Rental of cleaning supplies: Awarded to Western Uniform.
28. Change order for custodial service with Universal Cleaning
29. Rejected bid for outboard motor
30. Water treatment chemicals - Nalco Chemicals
31. Herbicides - Estes Chemicals
32. Dairy Products for Jail - C & C Distributors
33. Fire Department Athletic Shoes - Bill's Scoreboard
34. Liquid Chlorine - DPC Industries, Inc.
35. Refuse Container Bottoms - Roll-Offs of America
36. Repair clamps and steel couplings - Oklahoma Contractors
37. Hay baling lease, Lawtonka - Edward Hilliary, Jr.
38. Portable and Mobile Radios - Radios Unlimited & Lawton
39. Removal and disposal of sludge - Norton Construction
40. Extended contract with Morning Pride Mgr. for bunker
41. Mayor's Appointments - Specifications Committee - Babe
Whatley; Engineer Selection Committee - Jim Branscum; Traffic
Commission, Col. Stephen Glick; Parks & Recreation Commission -
Betty Owens; Library Board - Carol Green; Transportation Policy
Committee - John Purcell, Jody Maples; Naming Public Facilities -
Bob Shanklin; Citizens' Advisory Committee on CIP - Derek
42. Payroll approved.
BUSINESS ITEMS - EXECUTIVE SESSION:
43. Purchase of real property for Landfill - no action taken
in open session.
44. McCants v. City - no action or discussion since settlement
conference was stricken by the court.
45. Priester v. City - Contract with Paul Brune as expert
46. Susana Henriquez, et al - civil suit, U. S. District court
for Western District - Hired Reggie Whitten, attorney.
47. Joan Thomas Stephens v. Gerald High, et al - civil suit,
U. S. District Court for Western District - hired Whitten.
REPORTS: Zarle invited everyone to dedication of Albert Johnson
Park at 82nd and Rogers Lane. Purcell reported the committee met
on land trade with Lawton Public Schools and would meet again on
Friday. Schumpert gave further explanation on DEQ and bulking
plan for liquid waste at Landfill.
ADJOURNED AT: 10: 25 p.m.