Month 1995-6 June
Meeting of 1995-6-13 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
JUNE 13, 1995 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Gil Schumpert, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:15 p.m. by Mayor Marley.
Notice of meeting and agenda were posted on the City Hall
bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jody Maples, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Joe Dutcher, Ward Three
John Purcell, Ward Four
Robert Shanklin, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Carol Green, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Police officers thanked Council for
support. Mr. Moore spoke regarding a hearing on his license to be
a bail bondsman.
1. Public hearing on budget held - Sandstrom requested funding
for $13,000 stage curtain at McMahon Auditorium as safety item
due to asbestos, fire danger, etc. Several persons requested
$12,000 be reinstated for library books.
2. Resolution amending Schedule for Fees failed.
3. Res. No. 95-61 adopting FY 1995-96 Budget approved:
Employee to be added in Computer Services, CM directed to do
selected hiring freeze, 3% pay raise for general employees with
these items to be funded from 1996 projected carryover; $13,000
for curtain at McMahon Auditorium to be funded from Council
4. Ord. No. 95-24 approved increasing income limits for
reduction to elderly and disabled persons; effective 7/1/95.
5. Damage claims denied: Gordon Battice; and Zanda Gillock-Smith and Jason Smith.
6. Item regarding lake communications failed due to lack of
sufficient votes to declare emergency.
7. Request by Lawton Parkway Task Force to revise proposal
8. MOU with Planning Commission approved.
9. Naming of parks approved: Terrace Hills Park to Albert
Johnson Park; North Lawton Community Center to H. C. King
Community Center; Park Lane Park to James Henderson Park.
10. Res. No. 95-62 authorizing installation of 2-way stops on
Wycliff Lane at Kingswood Road; one-way stop on Kingswood Road at
1. Res. No. 95-63 for workers' comp for David Fletcher -
11. Damage claims approved: Drusila and Carless Tubbs -
$29.50; Gayle Hinkle - $95; George E. Higganbotham - Res. 95-64 -
$2,921.87; Ralph A. and Gloria I. Conerly - Res. 95-65 - $1,041;
Albert and Patricia Gaither - Res. 95-66 - $3,070.86; Billy
Reeves - $149.50; and St. Paul's United Methodist Church - Res.
95-67 - $575.
12. Res. No. 95-68 declaring 90% of revenues received.
13. Res. No. 95-69 authorizing traffic control.
14. Denying traffic control - 4-way stop at 63rd & Elm
15. Hillary bailing lease amended ratifying LWA action.
16. Item deleted from agenda.
17. Res. No. 95-70 designating places and times to discharge
fireworks - discussed separately. Age to purchase fireworks was
stated as 16 years old.
18. Accepting temporary easement for NW 41st Street Sewer
19. Acknowledged receipt of Commissioners Awards on "J" Ave.
for Bitsche and Jenkins/Sisk.
20. Approved $3,700 payment to BIA for easements for NE Flower
Mound Road Project (Wrattan North Bridge).
21. Acknowledged completion of I-44 Gore Ramp Signalization.
22. Awarded construction contract for "J" Ave. to Bruton
Const. - discussed separately; any requests for Change Orders
will be looked at very closely.
23. Approved contract with Comanche County for civil defense.
24. Approved contract with Dept. of Corrections to house
25. Approved contract with Roadback, Inc. for detox facility.
26. Approved contract with Crimestoppers for 3rd party use of
27. Approved contract with Crimestopper for funds from
property sale and providing administrative assistance.
28. Tabled contract with J. Roy Dunning Children's Shelter -
did DHS increase payment; can parents be involved in payment?
29. Approved contract with District Attorney's Council for
DARE grant- subgrant of $71,000 accepted.
30. Traffic signal parts to Traffic Parts, Inc; Gades Sales
Co.; Pelco Products.
31. Soil (sandy loam) to Penland's Topsoil
32. Crawler bulldozer to C. L. Boyd Co., Inc.
33. HVAC work for Fire Station #1 to Johnson Controls, Inc.
34. Aerial Basket Truck to UEC Equipment Company.
35. Repair of 800 hp electric motor to Southwest Electric Co.
36. Front-end alignment to Lawton Alignment Company and
37. Waste oil disposal deleted from agenda.
38. Extended contract for redi-mix concrete with Southwest
Redi-Mix to June 14, 1996 at same terms.
39. Mayor's Appointments: Environmental Concerns Committee -
40. Payroll approved.
EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS:
41. No action taken on claim of Retta Seabolt.
42. No action taken on title to real property in Lawton View
43. Police union contracts for FY 97-95 and 95-96 approved; CA
to dismiss unfair labor practice cases 00299 and 00300 filed by
City with PERB and civil suit City v. IUPA Case CJ-95-365 in
Comanche County District Court.
REPORTS: Special Council meeting set for June 20 at 5:30 p.m. to
discuss CDBG projects.
ADJOURNMENT: 9:15 p.m.