Month 1995-5 May
Meeting of 1995-5-9 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
MAY 9, 1995 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Gil Schumpert, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Marley.
Notice of meeting and agenda were posted on the City Hall
bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jody Maples, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Joe Dutcher, Ward Three
John Purcell, Ward Four
Robert Shanklin, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Carol Green, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Lisa Smith of PEAL presented a T-shirt to
the Mayor in honor of Teachers Appreciation Week.
1. Mayor Pro Tem: Glen Alford elected.
2. Ord. 95-20 permitting circuses and carnivals in P-F, C-3, -4, C-5, CBD, I-1
and I-3 - requires item for fee schedule.
3. Ord. 95-21, review procedure on applications for circuses
4. Res. 95-50 approving Consolidated Plan - move $30,000 from
neighborhood planning and $5,000 from Contingency to Business
Development North Side Chamber - distribute list of last year's
projects and this year's.
5. Damage claim of John Todd denied.
6. Installation of lights on Grand View United Sports Complex
tabled to May 23 - look for money from other sources.
7. Res. 95-51 authorizing execution of ODEQ Consent Order.
8. Revision to Council Police No. 6 approved to say all
Council members will be furnished copies of legal opinions.
NEW BUSINESS: Res. 95-52 adopted canceling May 16 police
1. Briefing on police negotiation process - Vincent gave
briefing, negotiations may need to resume.
2. Revision to Council Policy No. 43 adopted.
9. Damage claims approved: Ronnie and Diane Denham - $40;
Edward J. and Namsim Burt - Tabled after executive session, claim
was considered separately; Sarah K. Grantham - $45; Carey D.
Freeman - Res. 95-53 - $1,452.55; and Dona J. and David E.
Bradley - Res. 95-54 - $2,400.
10. Res. 95-54 approving traffic controls.
11. Denial of traffic controls.
12. Extension of legal and administrative services agreements
with several firms.
13. Change Order 1 and acceptance of Central Fire Station
Reroofing with bond - REMOVED FROM AGENDA.
14. Accept Elmer Thomas Park Water Line Project with bond.
15. Accept easement from Elizabeth Smith for installation of
street light in Almor West Addition.
16. Approve agreement with Oklahoma Department of
Transportation re: traffic signals at 38th and Lee.
17. Approve agreement with Oklahoma Department of Libraries
for Internet access.
18. Approve agreement with Oklahoma Department of Libraries to
enhance information services of library.
19. Release maintenance bond for Faircloud Addition, Part 2A.
20. Release maintenance bond for Creekwood Addition, Part 2B.
21. Work clothing - Don's Uniforms - removed from agenda.
22. Networked GIS/CAD System - Tri-Star Computer Corp.
23. 5 hp water cooler - Ted's Heating & Air Conditioning.
24. Rotating Information Retrieval System - Alm Industries,
25. Data/telemetry radios - Southwest Communications.
26. Telephone system - removed from agenda.
27. Rental of equipment - ARA Equipment Rentals, Prime
28. Amended contract for grass mowing for Area "D", West Lee
29. Mayor's Appointments: Citizens' Advisory Committee (CIP) -
Erwin, Quarles; Parks & Recreation Commission - Haywood; Drainage
Control Committee - McCarty.
30. Payroll approved.
REPORTS: Special meetings for budget discussions set for
Wednesday, May 17 and Thursday, May 18 at 5:30 p.m. Purcell said
he wanted employees to treat each person as a valued customer -
5-10% having poor public relations can cause problems. Green said
her retirement would be Tuesday, May 16 at 4:00 p.m. at Cleveland
School and invited everyone to attend.
ADJOURNED AT: 10:05 p.m.