Month 1995-5 May
Meeting of 1995-5-23 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
MAY 23, 1995 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Gil Schumpert, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:25 p.m. by Mayor Marley.
Notice of meeting and agenda were posted on the City Hall
bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jody Maples, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Joe Dutcher, Ward Three
John Purcell, Ward Four
Robert Shanklin, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Carol Green, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: No one appeared to speak.
1. Advertise for bids to install lights and finish all work on
Grand View United Sports Complex fields - School System needs to
Approve plans before advertising for bids.
2. Ord. 95-22 approved for rezoning 8020 NW Cache Road; LUP
3. Damage claim denied - Joseph Kearns.
4. Transfer of Taxicab Certificate from Wolfenbarger to
Thompson approved for Triple A Cab Co.
5. Ord. 95-23 adopted amending Sec. 7-822A, & Sec. 7-827A,
Chapter 7, relating to carnival permit fees.
6. Res. 95-56 adopted amending Appendix A, Schedule of Fees &
Charges, references applicable to Circuses, Carnivals and
7. Approved exception to CP#34 & plans for left turn bay for
southbound SW 38th Street to service proposed State Farm Service
8. Res. 95-57 "Free Fishing Days" at all City Lakes, June 10 &
9. Damage claims: Rick L. & Mary Ann Richardson - $40; Joseph
& Ruby Rouse - $250; Mabel J. Reynolds - Res. 95-58 - $844.62;
David Towe through Dottie Waugaman, agent - $31.25.
10. Res. 95-59 supplementing the appropriations of the General
11. Sponsorship agreement for the Airport Master Plan between
the City and Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission.
12. Lease agreement between Board of Education of Independent
School District No. 8, for a police sub-station at Special
Services Center, 2211 NW 25th Street.
13. Robinson's Landing lease tabled by LWA, pulled from agenda
for consideration of City Council.
14. Street Light Resolution No. 383.
15. Retainer agreement between the City and Mr. Ken Barnes in
the Jasper vs. Logue Civil case.
16. Release maintenance bond in the amount of $17,705.29 for
Faircloud Addition, Part 2B.
17. Construction plans for an off-site water line at SW 27th
Street & SW Lee Blvd.
18. Supplemental Agreement No. 3 for Rogers Lane Ph. IV
Project and Engineering to prepare plans and specifications for
19. Plans and Specifications for Rogers Lane Waterline
Relocation Project 95-10 and advertise for bids upon acquisition
20. Change Order No. 1 for a deduct ($720.90); accept the
central Fire Station Reroofing Project 94-14 as constructed by
Ford Roofing & Sheet Metal Co. and place Maintenance Bond in
21. Inspection services contract to Brune Engineering in the
amount of $4,880 for Fire Station #2.
22. Contract with Medical Priority Consultants, Inc. to hold
EMD training in Lawton.
23. HVAC at Fire Station #1 pulled from agenda.
24. Contract labor - Texhoma Temporary, Inc.
25. Employee physicals/drug screening - Comanche County
26. Fire hydrant repair parts - Oklahoma Contractors Supply &
Pioneer Supply; generate purchase orders to Hydraflo, Inc.
($1,306.40) & American Waterworks Supply, Inc. ($1,994.76).
27. Laptop computer - Gateway 2000.
28. Belt-driven mower deck - Construction Agriculture Co.
29. City Code codification - American Legal Publishing Corp.
30. Long distance service - U. S. Long Distance.
31. Work clothing - Don's Uniform & Apparel.
32. Extended contract for health and dental plans - Cher A.
Bumps & Assoc.
33. Extended contract for the E-911 system - Southwestern Bell
34. Mayor's Appointments: Status of Women - French, Hill;
Carnegie Library Town Hall - Brock, Hester, Ross; Arts &
Humanities Council - Scott, Pewewardy; McMahon Auditorium
Authority - Mitchell; Carnegie Library Advisory Board - Green;
Committee on Outside Water Sales - Shanklin, Dutcher; Council
Committee on KCA Land Use - Green, Dutcher; Lawton Economic
Development Authority - Purcell.
35. Payroll approved.
EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS:
36. Negotiations between City and Fire Union, IAFF Local 1882,
employment agreement for FY 95-96 approved.
37. Settlement offer received in pending claim of Edward J.
Burt, Namsim Burt, Julie A. Burt and Hazel I. French - Res. 95-60
approved settling all for $12,000.
38. Erwin E. and Jackie S. Igo - pay ad valorem taxes on
property from Council Contingency and proceed with foreclosure.
39. Dennis and Rhonda McCants vs. City - offer $500 to trustee
of settlement fund - pay from Council Contingency.
40. Dorothy Hurley damage claim - Denied.
41. Crescent Construction Co. litigation - pay taxes of $3,984
from Council Contingency and take title to property.
42. Police Union, IUPA, Local 24 negotiations - no action
REPORTS: Schumpert said he would be out of the office on Monday.
Mayor Marley announced the new police chief would not be sworn in
tomorrow. Green wished the Mayor happy birthday.
ADJOURNED AT: 8:35 p.m.