Month 1995-11 November
Meeting of 1995-11-14 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
NOVEMBER 14, 1995 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Gil Schumpert, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:05 p.m. by Mayor Marley.
Notice of meeting and agenda were posted on the City Hall
bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jody Maples, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Joe Dutcher, Ward Three
John Purcell, Ward Four
Robert Shanklin, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Carol Green, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
PRESENTATION OF CITIZEN OF THE MONTH AWARD TO CARL WRIGHT
PRESENTATION OF EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH AWARD TO TRUDI GLASS,
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Schumpert presented the Superior Achievement Award received by
Lawton from the Oklahoma Good Roads and Streets Association.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Terry Bryant complained of graffiti on
private property causing difficulty in renting housing units.
1. Action on letter of map revision for The Meadows deleted
from the agenda.
2. Ord. 95-55 amending Chapter 18 relating to floodplain
regulations and providing for disclosure of flood status
3. Ord. 95-56 amending Chapter 18 relating to specific
standards for flood hazard reduction.
4. Ord. 95-57 amending Chapter 21 regarding classification of
drainage channels, secondary drainage channels, and surface
5. Progress report given on Wolf Creek Drainage Study.
6. Res. 95-122 authorizing installation of traffic lights at
38th and Lincoln - City Manager was directed to identify funding
source and that source will be Electronic Maintenance budget.
Area of 27th and "J" needs attention as far as traffic controls.
7. Damage claims denied: Charles D. and Barbara Perry; and
8. Amendment to contract with Ralph & Kathryn Curts allowing
second lien approved - subordination of existing lien denied.
9. Agreement with Comanche Housing Authority for utility
service to 32 units in Cameron Village Addition for low income
10. Res. changing water rates for rural water districts,
commercial and government accounts outside the City Tabled to
November 28, and Make the Item a public hearing.
11. Agreement with Comanche County Rural Water District No. 3
for water approved at $1.50 per thousand gallons plus any pumping
charges in accordance with City Code. Prepare Agenda Item to
assess pumping charges on consumption rather than per meter.
12. Agreement with Steve Lawley for outside water at 9800 NW
Cache Road approved.
13. Declare emergency on weed abatement for public health and
safety and authorize staff to contract for weed abatement on 87
properties. - Motion was to approve Building Development
contracting with any legal entities to get this work done
immediately as an emergency. (Discussed having Parks & Recreation
field crews do the work that has not been done by Building
14. Establish committee to review regulations regarding
issuance of permits by Building Development, matters handled
through Planning and other areas as determined by City Council.
Mayor to appoint committee not to exceed five Council members.
15. Reject proposals for QA/QC Construction Inspection and
final report on Subtitle "D" Landfill Construction and approve
additional engineering position in the current year's budget.
$27,000 to be taken from Council Contingency for funding.
16. Construction contract for Grand View Sports Complex Phase
II: Table for break down of what money will be spent for on bids,
buildings, drainage, etc., break it out.
17. Ord. 95-58 adopting the Lawton City Code, 1995, approved.
1. Approved setting date of December 19 to hold hearing on
closing west five feet of utility easement of Lot 1, Block 3,
18. Res. 95-123 notifying the public of publication of Lawton
City Code, 1995.
19. Damage claims approved: Robert and Vickie Stasik - $62.50;
David C. Butler - Res. 95-124 - $468.44; Petra E. Plummer - Res.
95-125 - $520.57; and Southwestern Bell Telephone Company -
20. Res. 95-126 Daryl Nobis Workers' Compensation claim.
21. Dec. 12 set as date to hold public hearing on ordinance
closing west 100' of alley in Block 49, Original Townsite.
22. Ratify action of Lawton Parking Authority on filing action
to vacate west 100' of alley in Block 49, Original Townsite.
23. Terminated agreement with Don McKinney for outside water
and approved agreement with Manford Lohman for outside water
sale. Considered separately - 11 meters approved - provide
revised contract for signature.
24. Approved contract with Benito and Rosemarie Ramirez for
outside water sale at 9801 NW Elk Drive.
25. Agreement with Tomlinson & Associates Engineering, LLC for
landscape and engineer services for Cache Road Beautification
26. Res. 95-127 supporting "Holiday Magic".
27. Mayor to sign application for grant from Department of
Justice for domestic violence intervention.
28. Record Plat - Pebble Creek, 2A, accepted easements and
deeds, escrow agreement in lieu of incomplete improvements, and
29. Approved sewer main for public dedication in Block 1,
Summerwood Square Addition, an easement and escrow agreement in
lieu of maintenance bond.
30. Approve replat of Lots 8, 9 and 10, Block 1, Willow Tree
Patio Homes Addition.
31. Accept improvements for public dedication for replat of
Lot 6, Block 13, MacArthur Park, Part 5A and release escrow
agreement in lieu of incomplete improvements.
32. Record Plat for Heritage Hills Part 3, accept easement,
cash deposit for incomplete improvements and maintenance bond for
33. Council Policy No. 1 adopted on preparation of Council
34. Res. 95-128 authorizing City Clerk to dispose of records
that have been reproduced on microfilm.
35. Agreement with Currell Lumber Company for lease of part of
Block 120, Lawton View Addition, for outdoor advertising sign.
36. Agreement with Arts for All, Inc. to lease office space in
Carnegie Library Town Hall.
37. Accepted NW 41st Street Sewerline Replacement Project 95-9
and placed maintenance bond in effect. Sod to be provided to
resident unhappy with yard restoration by contractor on unit
38. Accepted NW Cache Road and Wichita Drive Waterline Project
95-13 and placed maintenance bond in effect.
39. Approved plans for Highland Cemetery Road Overlay Project
Phase II 95-20 and authorized bid advertisement.
40. Rejected contract for roof repair of Fire Station #3.
41. Approved plans for Fire Station 3, 4 and Fire Training
Center Roof Project 95-21 and authorized bid advertisement.
42. Accepted Relinquishments of Access Rights for Rogers Lane
Phase IV Project and authorized payment.
43. Decontamination of cleaning of bunker clothing: Fire
44. Water meter parts and water meters - Sensus Technologies.
45. Aluminum sulfate - General Chemical Corp.
46. Aluminum sign blanks - Amsign Corp.
47. Cellular telephone service - United States Cellular.
48. Refuse containers - Teem Enterprises, Inc.
49. Fire Dept. Uniforms (fire resistant) - Casco Industries
50. Fire Dept. Uniforms - Tuxall Uniforms
51. Water tank replacement - Emergency Equipment Services,
52. Office furniture - Stamper Office Supply and
Southwestern/McCord's Office Products, Inc.
53. Soft drink vending service - Pepsi Cola Bottling Co.
54. Pest control services - Sooner Lawn & Pest Control
55. Microwave traffic detectors - Delta Technologies, Inc.
56. Extend contract for welding gases- Sooner Airgas, Inc. to
12/12/96 at same terms.
57. Mayor's appointments - Committee for Naming Public
Facilities - David Crutcher, John Paynter, Hank McClure.
58. Payroll approved.
59. Executive Session - City Manager employment
MOTION: That we rehire Gilbert Schumpert as City Manager of the
City of Lawton for one year at the same salary that he has
received to date with the additional stipulation that the City
Council, on a regular basis of three months or six months,
whichever the Council shall so approve in a future meeting, shall
give a consensus of direction of how and what they want done by
the City Manager.
REPORTS: Branscum thanked staff for finishing the porch.
ADJOURNED AT: 10:50 p.m.