Month 1994-12 December
Meeting of 1994-12-20 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
DECEMBER 20, 1994 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Gilbert H. Schumpert, Jr.,
John Vincent, Assistant City Attorney
Brenda Smith, City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Marley. Notice of meeting and
were posted on the City Hall bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jeffrey Sadler, Ward One
Babe Whatley, Ward Two
Jerry Shelton, Ward Three
Tom Leon, Ward Four
Alvis Kennedy, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Leila Barfield, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Jim Branscum, At-Large No. 1
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Louis Fox suggested the City spend proceeds from franchise fee
on regulation of cable television. Harold Crump made various derogatory comments about the
Mayor and Council and offered to lead any group of people interested in getting the good old
boys removed. Charlie Gifford commended the Mayor and Council for their actions regarding the
Lawton Housing Authority.
1. Res. No. 94-115 on traffic control approved according to staff
2. Res. No. 94-116 approved on condemnation of 1510 ½ SW
3. Report from Public Sector Personnel Consultants on salary
survey of police and fire
compensation plans accepted.
4. Charter amendment approved for submission to voters with statement
that Mayor shall have
no administrative duties remaining in current and proposed Charter - set for March election.
5. Damage claims denied: Schade, Pajazetovic.
6. Loan to Colorgraphics - The Print Shop, from CDBG funds approved.
7. Res. No. 94-117 endorsing Chamber of Commerce as sponsoring
organization for Oklahoma
Certified Cities Program.
8. Request from GPIF to purchase equipment for MedTrans Program
9. Res. No. 94-118 amending Res. 89-91 on CIP by adding improvements
10. Ord. No. 9437 amending Chapter 19 on fishing, camping and
11. Ord. No. 94-38 amending Chapter 15 to provide for appeal
of costs regarding
administrative orders from Health Dept.
12. Res. No. 94-119 approving changes to pay plan for employees.
13. Staff to readvertise Lot 1, Block 69, Lawton Heights Addition
for public sale.
14. Res. No. 94-120 worker's comp - Michael Ward.
15. Agreement with Harold Wilson for sale of water outside the
16. Amendments to agreements with Burgess & Burgess and Margaret
McMorrow Love for
17. Construction Plat for Heritage Hills Part 3 approved.
18. Approved offsite infrastructure plans for Summerwood Square
19. Issued revocable permit to Citizens Bank for groundwater
20. Accepted State Aid for Libraries grant of $45,715 and authorized
contract with Oklahoma
Department of Libraries.
21. Confirmed Water Authority action to approve the David Finley
lease agreement, Lake
Ellsworth, as revised by City Attorney.
22. Electric motor repair - J & W Electric Motor
23. Transmission repair - Mr. Transmission
24. Extend contract for water meter and parts through December
14, 1995 at same terms.
25. Appointments: Personnel Board - John Purcell; Parks &
Recreation Commission - Randy
Breeze; Human Rights & Relations Commission - Roger Kent, Janis Brennan; Housing Authority
- Alvis Kennedy, Eileen Mercandante, Everett Hill.
26. Payroll approved. Branscum requested information be given
in agenda folder on payroll
rather than simply listing it on the agenda for approval.
27. City v. Crescent Const. tabled to January 10.
28. David Livingston lawsuit - waive subrogation rights.
29. Comanche County Memorial Hospital - Attorney's Office authorized
to enter into
settlement negotiations with attorney for CCMH.
REPORTS: Schumpert reported on a brutal murder and stated a suspect had been apprehended.
Branscum asked that paper towers be put in the men's room and said there was dirt in the ice.