Month 1993-5 May
Meeting of 1993-5-25 Regular Meeting
LAWTON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
MAY 25, 1993 - 6:00 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER - WAYNE GILLEY CITY HALL
John T. Marley, Mayor, Also Present:
Presiding Robert Hopkins, City Manager
Felix Cruz, City Attorney
Sandra Rench, Deputy City Clerk
The meeting was called to order at 6:10 p.m. by Mayor Marley. Notice of meeting and
were posted on the City Hall bulletin board as required by law.
Present: Jeffrey Sadler, Ward One
Michael Brown, Ward Two
Jerry Shelton, Ward Three
Jana Barker, Ward Four
Alvis Kennedy, Ward Five
Richard Zarle, Ward Six
Leila Barfield, Ward Seven
Robert Mitchell, Ward Eight
Glen Alford, At-Large No. 2
Kathy Pippin, At-Large No. 1
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Russell Finch submitted copies of a petition to the Council
against a rezoning of Rolling Hills Subdivision which was approved at the May 12, LMAPC
meeting and will be going before Council on June 8. He said the rezoning will only add to the
drainage problems that Rolling Hills is already having. Edith Henderson said after her request at
the last Council meeting several businesses moved their cigarette vending machines. She
suggested more stringent fines for people who allow minors to purchase cigarettes.
1. Final Statement of Community Development Objectives and Projected
Use of Funds and the
Certification for the 19th Year CDBG and to execute the Grant Agreement when approved by the
Department of Housing and Urban Development authorized.
2. Denied damage claims of Virgil M. Colins and Robert "Bill"
3. Hearing to consider the appeal of John Welch withdrawn.
4. Report from the Animal Licensing Committee accepted.
5. Approved Memorandum of Understanding with the Town of Geronimo
to sell treated water.
6. Res. 93-48 requesting ODOT to provide partial project construction
funding for the roadway
in the Airport Industrial Park.
7. Plans and Specifications for the Airport Industrial Access
Road Project Phase II (93-19),
authorizing funding and soliciting for bids approved.
8. Amendment to an agreement between the City and the Board of
commissioners of Comanche
County, Oklahoma, relating to the Juvenile Detention Center approved.
9. Res. No. 93-49, designating the Great Plains Improvement Foundation,
Inc. as a Community
Housing Development Organization.
10. Res. No. 93-50 declaring June 12 and 13, 1993 as "Free
Fishing Days" at all City owned
11. Ratified Lawton Water Authority action to amend the lease
agreement with Entrepreneur
Entertainment Express to permit the sale of beer at Lake Lawtonka.
12. Damage claims approved: Medina - $103.72; Klein - Res. No.
93-51 for $1,026.12.
13. Res. 93-52 - ratifying payment of the judgment in the case
of Southerland, in the amount of
14. No objection to a petition seeking vacating a portion of
the public way described as lot 24,
Block 1, Garden Village Addition, Part 2.
Record Plat for Sungate Addition, Part 7, improvements, maintenance bond
and park land dedication.
16. Res. No. 93-53 accepting grant from the FAA for improvements
at the Municipal Airport.
17. NE Flower Mound Road Bridge Project easement, permanent and
temporary, from Alva
Development, Inc. and Cox Development Co. of Lawton, Inc., and payment for same.
18. Res. No. 93-54 authorizing an application to the Bureau of
Indian Affairs for easement
required for the NE Flower Mound Road Bridge Project and approval of applicable fee.
19. Easement granted in 1974 from Mr. & Mrs. Walter Kerchee
across the NE/4 of the NE/4 of
Section 32, T2N, R11W, released.
20. Approved actions of the City Engineer for Change Order No.
2, 8th Street Reconstruction
Project by T & G Construction, putting maintenance bond into effect and imposing liquidated
damages against the contractor.
21. Approved Change Order No. 3 with Atlas-Tuck Concrete for
the NW 67th Street
Reconstruction Project approved.
22. Approved Change Order No. 1 with A.E. Construction for the
Concrete Restoration of the
South Water Treatment Plant Project.
23. Approved contract between Mr. and Mrs. Richard D. Carpenter
and the City of Lawton for
fire protection outside the City limits.
24. Construction contract for the North High Zone Distribution
System Modification Project
(93-15) awarded to HBH Inc.
25. Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Project (93-14)
awarded to Aquatrol
26. Retainer Agreement - Law Firm of Manchester, Hiltgen &
Healy to represent the City in
the Delluomo civil suite.
27. Amendments to legal services agreements between the City
and the following
firms/attorneys extending the expiration dates of said agreement to June 30, 1994: Robert
Anderson, Ken Graham, Newcombe & Redman, and Fellers, Snider and Blankenship approved.
28. Agreement with the Lawton Firm of Godlove, Joyner, Mayhall,
Dzialo, Dutcher & Erwin,
for workers' compensation legal service approved.
29. Requested participation by ODOT: for signalization of the
I-44 terminals on East Gore
Boulevard - Res. No. 93-55; and for signalization of Fire Station No. 4 (NW Cache Road) Res.
30. Liquid chlorine (Item 1) rejected.
31. Chlorine materials - Blakely Swimming Pools.
32. Grassing of construction sites - Bentley Turf Farms.
33. Janitorial supplies - Southwest Chemical, Inc., Ansley Paper
Co., Daveco Industrial, Inc.
and Carpenter Paper Co.
34. Extended contract for refuse containers - Teem Enterprises,
35. Mayor's appointments: Human Rights Commission - Wol Welsh;
Library Board - Georgann
36. Payroll approved.
37. Litigation involving claims by the Oklahoma ABLE Commission:
Res. No. 93-57 in the
amount of $2,380.24 filed by City against County; Res. No. 93-58 in the amount of $3,800 for
suit filed by ABLE Commission against the City.
38. Discussed status of lawsuit filed by Gilbert Hutson: Res.
No. 93-59 in the amount of
MEETING ADJOURNED AT: 7:00 p.m.