Section 3 Personnel
Policy 3-22 PRESCRIPTION SAFETY GLASS SERVICE
DISTRIBUTION: ALL DEPARTMENTS
SUBJECT: PRESCRIPTION SAFETY GLASS SERVICE
PURPOSE: To provide better eye protection for employees and dependents
prescription glasses by encouraging the use of protective lens.
BACKGROUND: Safety glasses with protective lens are available through
glass service companies, at a cost lower than standard frames and lens from a retail optician.
Thus, employees and dependents would be afforded eye protection with reduced cost for
corrective lens. The service offers high quality frames in styles that are comparable to those
available from local retail opticians. The bottom line is reduced eye injuries and reduced costs
replacing damaged glasses.
PROCEDURES: This is strictly a voluntary program, available as a convenience
employees. The City of Lawton will not be responsible for any portion of the cost of the glasses.
1. The employee must receive an eye examination and have a prescription signed
by an eye
doctor before the glasses can be ordered. The prescription must be no more than one year
Dependents of City employees may also participate in the program.
2. The employee must obtain a payroll deduction authorization form from the Safety
Officer. The Safety and Risk Officer will sign and date the form indicating approval for payment
of glasses through payroll deduction. The Safety and Risk Officer will make such approval after
ascertaining that the requesting individual is a current City of Lawton employee.
3. The employee will complete the remainder of the payroll authorization form,
except for the
payroll deduction amount (cost of the glasses). Employee will indicate the number of payroll
periods (1 to 4) over which the cost of the glasses is to be pro-rated and deducted from their
paychecks. Amount of payroll deduction should not exceed a total of $250.00.
4. The employee will take the approved form to the selected vendor. With
the assistance of the
vendor's staff, the employee or dependent will select frame and lenses and will be fitted.
Depending on frame availability, glasses will normally be completed in 1-7 days.
5. The employee will pick up completed glasses from the vendor. Once the
cost of the glasses
is determined, the amount will be entered on the payroll deduction authorization form, either by
the employee or the vendor.
6. Vendor will then forward the payroll deduction authorization form, along with
an invoice, to
the Safety and Risk Officer for processing.
7. The Payroll Deduction Authorization form will be forwarded to the Financial
Division for processing.
8. The monies collected from employees' payroll deduction will be transferred
to an account
from which the billing from the vendor will be paid by the Human Resources Department.
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
RESCISSION: This policy rescinds Administrative Policy 2-2, dated September
1, 1995, and
will remain in effect until rescinded.
LARRY S. MITCHELL
May 18, 2005
(3-22, Added, 05/17/2005)